Sunday, February 07, 2010

Tribute to Bob Guglielmino



Dear Blog Visitors:

This is a departure from my routine postings. I want to take this opportunity to recall one of the more outstanding musicians to come out of the Rochester area. His name was Bob Guglielmino. He lived from 1945-1978. Yes, he was only 33 when he died, and I sadly remember how many people were numbed by the news of his passing.

Bob Guglielmino was an extremely talented drummer, and many will remember his appearances with The Brass Buttons and The Gap Mangione Band. One of his more memorable appearances was on the Ed Sullivan Show, when he backed up Liza Minelli.

I accidentally came across the footage in the video above when I was going through some old boxes. I then recalled that I filmed Bob in 1974 when he and the Gap Mangione Band were playing for a show at the War Memorial in Rochester. The footage is a little grainy, but I touched it up as best I could. I added some narration and I provided a musical backdrop (The Brass Buttons).

My thanks to Bob Guglielmino for being a great musician and a wonderful person. His legacy lives on.

Peace to all,
Ray Grosswirth

No comments: