Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pope's Role in Sexual Abuse Crisis



Dear Blog Visitors:

I have often envisioned what it would be like to have a conversation with Pope Benedict XVI on a variety of church-related issues.

You may recall that I made a video a couple years ago that amounted to be a spoof of an imagined phone call between the pontiff and myself on the issue of clerical celibacy. Utilizing a combination of humor and serious-minded data, the video remains the most-watched of my YouTube entries.

In the video above, you won't find any humor, due to the very serious topic that is being addressed - namely, sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church. The more we learn, it has become apparent that our pontiff had first-hand knowledge of many abuse cases when, as Cardinal Josef Ratzinger, he was head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. In this dramatized video, I imagine having a cell-phone conversation with Benedict XVI, during which I make two recommendations to him.

Let us pray that Benedict does the right thing in the face of this highly-charged controversy.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: