Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pope Francis Named Person of the Year

 
 
Dear Blog Visitors:
 
When I was ordained a married priest by a married archbishop in 2006, it was in recognition of the fact that I had the same graduate theological degrees as my celibate counterparts, and that sex and gender restrictions sadly prevented many qualified individuals from entering a vocation they were called to.

I was very pleased to learn that Pope Francis has been named Time Magazine's person of the year. He has the potential to make the Roman Catholic Church a more welcoming and inclusive institution than what was experienced under his immediate predecessors.

It is my hope that in light of the shortage of celibate priests, Pope Francis will authorize the inclusion of women and married men at the altar. Since the imposition of mandatory celibacy in 1139, there have been many scandals in the church, inclusive of the sexual abuse crisis that peaked in 2002.

Women and married priests who have found the means to become ordained have found ways to minister independently of the institutional church. In my case, I continue to preside at weddings. Pope Francis has the means to bring these highly qualified persons into the wider Roman Catholic community with the simple stroke of a pen. Let us hope this happens.
 
Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: