Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Reflecting on my 65th Birthday

Dear Blog Visitors:

I have reached a milestone today, in that I am now 65-years-old.
I actually enjoyed using my Medicare Advantage card for the first time today. I used to dread turning 65. However, Medicare Advantage is just one of the benefits of being an official senior. I am also grateful for my government pension after 23 years in City Hall, and a small pension from my ten years at a bank. After Brenda retires, we are looking forward to having some fun in our golden years.

I find that when I analyze my 65 years, there were many highs and lows. I regret not having taken my creative skills to the highest level. For example, I spent more time partying than practicing while a student at the Eastman School of Music. I also probably foolishly turned down a job offer at Paramount Movie Studios that could have perhaps led to an acting career. However, there were some fun years, such as my three years as 'The Wizard of Pun' at a local radio station, many years of free-lance writing, running for public office in 1983, being ordained as a married priest in 2006, and presently serving as president of the Rochester Chamber Orchestra.

Obviously, if I could travel back in a time machine, there are a few things I would do differently. For example, there were a few times I entered into dating relationships when my self-esteem was rather low, whereby I relied upon the relationships for a false sense of security. Fortunately, I met my wife, Brenda, at a time when I had a steady job, and I felt fairly secure about myself. So, we have been happily married for the past twenty years.

The worst years of my life? 1968, 1978, 1987, 1992. The best years of my life? Most of them. The best lesson I have learned throughout life is that not everything happens the way you would like. So, you do the best you can and simply try to be the best person you can be.


Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: