A Reflection on My Musical Past and Present Endeavors
It doesn't surprise me that one in three adults regrets having given up music. For me, this is the biggest regret during my lifetime. I had a promising musical career, having auditioned and being accepted to the Eastman School of Music in 1967. I lasted two years through no fault but my own. During my sophomore year, I became a victim of temptation and spent more time in bars than I did in practice rooms. Consequently, my studies suffered and I left Eastman following my sophomore year. I went on to earn undergraduate and graduate degrees in other disciplines, but classical music always maintained a hold on me.
I am grateful to have achieved career successes in fields other than music. However, while in retirement, I found myself longing for a return to my roots. Brenda (also a former musician) and I have been spending a lot of time revisiting classical compositions we love by watching full-length concerts on the Carnegie Hall+ and medici.tv streaming channels. Since my primary motivation many years ago was orchestral conducting, I am thrilled to see conductors of the past and present on the streaming channels, such as Leonard Bernstein, Claudio Abbado, Paavo Jarvi, Gustavo Dudamel, Zubin Mehta, Simon Rattle, Herbert von Karajan, etc. I have also spent a lot of time re-studying compsers I admired, such as Mahler, Beethoven, Shostakovich, Mozart, Brahms, etc.
I didn't totally abandon music over my many years after Eastman. In recent years, it was my pleasure and honor to be president and treasurer of the former Rochester Chamber Orchestra. As I reflect on the instruments I used to play (trumpet, violin, viola, piano), I made a decision to pick up the trumpet again, and perhaps play with a community orchestra.
Being addicted to music is a good thing. I encourage young people to sing or play an instrument if they are inclined to do so. The study of music is helpful in other disciplines as well, such as languages, history, math, community engagement, and teamwork. Music also has no age boundaries. So, if you are in your retirement years and have a passion to reconnect with your musical past, there are many ways to accomplish this. There are a lot of divisions in today's world. Music is a universal language that has a potential for healthy communication.

Comments