Friday, April 23, 2010

Busy At City Hall



Dear Blog Visitors:

I haven't posted anything since Easter, due to the fact that I am gearing up for my annual hectic pace connected with my secular job at City Hall in Rochester. This is not to say that my job doesn't keep me busy other times of the year, which is evidenced by the fact that I haven't taken a vacation day since December 24 (Christmas Eve). However, as the City prepares to transition from one fiscal year to the next (May through July), I can't say I look forward to the annual ritual of dashing through the halls at breakneck speed, and shuffling paperwork at 100 miles per hour

My workload will actually increase if Mayor Duffy's plan to take over the Rochester City School District succeeds (I would be responsible for the School District's payables in addition to my present duties of supervising payables for all City departments.) However, I nevertheless support the Mayor's plan, because I know he is 100% committed to top-quality education.

A friend recently asked if I live in City Hall, because I always seem to be consumed by my job. The answer is obviously no. However, even at home, my mind is often on work and it is not uncommon for me to start the day's planning process as early as 3:00 AM and it is quite common for me to take work home with me when stacks of paper rise faster than my pen can move. (NOTE TO TAXPAYERS: I DON'T CHARGE THE CITY FOR OVERTIME, AND I HAVE DONATED MANY MONTHS OF VACATION TO THE CITY AS WELL.)

Whenever I do find that I am consumed by my work, and even when it becomes overwhelming, I have to remind myself that I am fortunate to be employed, and I continue to pray for those who are without work. Nevertheless, it is my hope to be able to retire from my City Hall job in 2011 and devote the rest of my life to ministry and my personal hobbies, in addition to perhaps working at a part-time secular job I might enjoy.

I am actually going to try to take some leisure time this weekend, especially considering that I worked last weekend. Next weekend, I am looking forward to participating in the ordination of five women (three deacons and two priests).

I have actually been too busy with work to write on church reform topics the past few weeks, which will make my critics happy. However, I may find the time to produce another video for my YouTube channel. In the meantime, my best to all of you.

Peace,
Ray

No comments: