Sunday, April 04, 2010

A Very Blessed Easter to All



Dear Blog Visitors:

In the video above, I put politics aside and wished all a very blessed Easter. It is my prayer that despite all the tensions in the world, and the terrilbe news concerning worldwide sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, that somehow the good news of the Resurrection will lift us up out of the ashes.

In the spirit of ecumenism, I attended a beautiful and meaninful Good Friday celebration at Incarnate Word Lutheran Church in Rochester. The music was a wonderful complement to the reading of John's Passion. Incarnate Word is known for its top-notch liturgical music and I was not disappointed.

I find I still cringe at the reading of John's account of the Passion, due to the blame John placed on first century Jews for the Crucifixion. This has led to many centuries of anti-semitism. Fortunately, Vatican II and contemporary scholarship have remedied the injustice caused by John's Passion narrative. While most of John's Gospel contains a wonderful theological treatise on the human and divine attributes of Jesus, I would much prefer that Luke's Passion narrative be used on Good Friday.

My thanks to Incarnate Word for a Good Friday liturgy that was well done. I also want to thank the pastoral staff, musicians and all others who worked hard to put together a very special Easter morning liturgy at St. Anne Roman Catholic Church in Rochester. The music was very uplifting and my attending gave me an opportunity to see my good friends, Fr. Jim Lawlor and Sr. Joan Sobala (pastoral administrator at the parish).

May the Risen Christ be with all of you during the Easter season.

Peace,
Ray

No comments: