Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Contemplating My Future








Dear Blog Visitors:

As I move closer to retirement from my secular job (Accounts Payable Supervisor for the City of Rochester), the number one question I am constantly asked is: "What are you going to do in retirement?" A corresponding question I am often asked is: "Are you going to start your own church?"

Starting a church is a daunting task for anyone who is called to active ministry, so I don't realistically see myself doing that. If, on the other hand, a faith community calls me forth, I will certainly enter into a dialogue to see if there is a potential meeting of the minds and spirit.

At present, I am not leading a faith community. In fact, there are some Sundays I am so exhausted from my secular job, that I simply find the need for solitude. (After racing against the clock the rest of the week, I occasionally need a Sunday to recharge my batteries.) When I do attend liturgies, it can either be at a diocesan parish, Spiritus Christi Church, or any number of worship spaces where the Holy Spirit leads me.

Last weekend was very special for me. As indicated in another blog post, I participated in a three-hour liturgy at Spiritus Christi Church, during which five women were ordained. I want to thank David Lewis for taking the three photos above at the May 1 liturgy. I am pictured making introductory remarks, prior to presenting the five ordinands with gifts from the CORPUS (www.corpus.org) community. (Deacons received pyxes and priests received oil stocks.)

Just as I pray for all of you, I ask that you keep me in your prayers as I discern my future after I retire from my secular job. I am open to wherever the Holy Spirit leads me.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: