Saturday, May 01, 2010

Five Women Ordained in Rochester





Dear Blog Visitors:

I am filled with joy today because I took part in the ordination of five women in Rochester. The two newly ordained priests are Chava Redonnet and Theresa Novak Chabot, and the three newly ordained deacons are Caryl Johnson, Patti LaRosa and Ann Penick. Chava Redonnet will be serving the Rochester community and the others will serve in their respective cities/communities.

I want to thank Spiritus Christi Church for allowing RCWP (Roman Catholic Women Priests) to use their worship space for today's ordinations. It was also very generous of Rev. Jim Callan to host several out-of-town guests in his home for a couple days. I also want to thank the many musicians from Spiritus Christi who enriched the ordination liturgy.

The presiding bishop for today's ordinations was Andrea Johnson. (I have known Andrea for several years as a result of conferences we have attended that dealt with inclusive ministry.) Andrea did a spectacular job as presider of a three-hour liturgy. The time passed quickly, because the liturgy was rich with symbolism and the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Thus far, there have been approximately 100 Catholic women ordained for service throughout the world, and the numbers will grow. As media liaison for CORPUS (www.corpus.org), I am very proud of the fact that our organization has embraced the ordination of women and some of our members have served as mentors for women preparing for ordination.

As the number of women called to ordination continues to grow, I was initially concerned that the support of married priests for these ordinations would not be reciprocated. However, my concern turned out to be short-lived, because my conversations with women priests and bishops have assured me that they do indeed support the ministries of married priests and partnerships we have forged will only get stronger. Therefore, I am delighted to report that a very successful collaboration will continue - namely, the partnership of Roman Catholic Women Priests, Women's Ordination Conference, Federation of Christian Ministries and CORPUS.

In the video that appears above, I reported on today's ordination liturgy. (The red stole I am wearing in the video is the same one I wore for the ordinations.) I have also included a photo of newly ordained priest, Chava Redonnet, giving Communion to Mary Ramerman.

Once again, my congratulations to Chava, Theresa, Caryl, Patti and Ann.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: