Friday, June 24, 2011

Marriage Equality Legislation Passed in New York State



Dear Blog Visitors:

I am proud that the New York State Senate did the right thing this evening, which was to pass the same-sex marriage bill that had been pending for several days.

Three reporters contacted me following the NYS Senate's vote, inquiring as to whether or not I will be an officiant for same-sex weddings. The simple answer is YES. While diocesan priests won't be allowed to officiate at such weddings, I have an independent status as a married priest that will allow me to facilitate.

I realize that divisions will be articulated as same-sex weddings move forward. However, as stated many times, I have come to believe that noone seeks to be gay; it is rather a matter of living according to one's created state. Part of God's mysterious plan was to create humans as sexual beings; some are called to heterosexual relationships, some are called to same-sex relationships, and some are called to a life of celibacy.

At a time when there is too much hatred and violence in our world, it is my hope that whenever two people fall in love and make a commitment to each other, it can be an occasion for joy and celebration. I, for one, am celebrating this evening.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: