Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Trying to Balance A Relgious & Secular Christmas Season



Dear Blog Visitors:

I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. Although it is a national secular holiday, Thanksgiving has nevertheless taken on religious themes as the history of our country evolved. So, it is no surprise that churches and synagogues are filled each year prior to our holiday feasts.

Although the Christmas season, inclusive of the long period of Advent, is religious at its heart, it has also encompassed much in the way of secular surroundings. For example, what is known as 'Black Friday' has become the annual secular announcement that Christmas has unofficialy arrived, although December 25 is on the distant horizon.

The Christmas season has indeed incorporated both the religious and secular spheres. I tried to highlight this fact with the two photos I have posted above. Despite my light-hearted approach, I will pray that the periods of Advent and Christmas are meaningful for all of you. I also want to wish my Jewish friends and relatives the best of the Hanukkah season.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: