Sunday, April 15, 2012

Still Numbed by the Titanic Disaster


Dear Blog Visitors:

I am writing this on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Like many around the world, I have watched the three major motion pictures that have been produced about this disaster: TITANIC (1953), A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958), and TITANIC (1997). Each film was good in its own right. However, nothing can capture the true horror that was obviously experienced by those who were on the ship.

One of my Sunday rituals is that of looking at the death notices in my local newspaper, whereby I will inevitably spot one or two names I recognize. I can't even imagine what it was like on Sunday, April 15, 1912, when death reports from the Titanic began to circulate.

Over the past one-hundred years, safety has improved in the area of water navigation. However, we continue to read about occasional cruise ship mishaps or disasters. If the Titanic taught us anything, it is the simple lesson that safety should never be compromised for the sake of luxury or speed.

On this 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, let us remember those who died and let us pray that we continue to learn lessons of the past that can help us with our future travels.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: