Marriage Equality Legislation Passed in New York State



Dear Blog Visitors:

I am proud that the New York State Senate did the right thing this evening, which was to pass the same-sex marriage bill that had been pending for several days.

Three reporters contacted me following the NYS Senate's vote, inquiring as to whether or not I will be an officiant for same-sex weddings. The simple answer is YES. While diocesan priests won't be allowed to officiate at such weddings, I have an independent status as a married priest that will allow me to facilitate.

I realize that divisions will be articulated as same-sex weddings move forward. However, as stated many times, I have come to believe that noone seeks to be gay; it is rather a matter of living according to one's created state. Part of God's mysterious plan was to create humans as sexual beings; some are called to heterosexual relationships, some are called to same-sex relationships, and some are called to a life of celibacy.

At a time when there is too much hatred and violence in our world, it is my hope that whenever two people fall in love and make a commitment to each other, it can be an occasion for joy and celebration. I, for one, am celebrating this evening.

Peace to all,
Ray

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering David Fetler

The Day The Earth Stood Still: Relevant for Our Times

Remembering Bessie (Betty) Fleetwood