Sunday, May 13, 2012

Congratulations to This Year's Graduates





Dear Blog Visitors:

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone graduating from various academic institutions this month.  Despite the economic challenges we all face, I continue to believe that education is vital, so I pray that the pursuit of degrees will be a goal that many pursue.

I thought I would share two photos from 2001, the year I received my Master of Divinity (M.Div) from St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry.  It was my second degree from St. Bernard's; I received an M.A. in Theology in 1998.  In addition to receiving my M.Div in 2001, I was also greatly honored to receive a special academic achievement award.

As I looked back at 2001, the trustees of St. Bernard's probably could not have imagined that I would have used my education to challenge some of the long-time policies of the Roman Catholic Church.  However, I do hope, in restrospect, that they can at least appreciate the fact that any arguments I present to the church's hierarchy are aided by the excellent education I received.  Whenever I challenge a long-standing policy, I try to articulate my arguments with good theology, history and practical applications.

It is important to state the Bishop Matthew Clark is the chancellor of St. Bernard's.  I truly appreciate that he has been kind and tolerant during my crusade to change some of the long-standing policies of the church.  I will miss him following his retirement this year.

The second photo above recalls a humorous moment from my 2001 graduation.  The hands in back of me are those of Bishop Clark.  He had a hard time fitting me with a hood, for he didn't anticipate my height.  In retrospect, he probably would have fitted me with a muzzle over my mouth, if he knew how much trouble I was going to cause for the hierarchy following graduation.

My congratulations to all who are graduating this month!

Peace too all,
Ray

No comments: