Monday, June 27, 2022

A Reflection On The Supreme Court's Decision

 As I reflected on last Friday's Supreme Court decision, I thought about the year I was one of the website moderators for a national organization called 'Catholics for Kerry.' At the time, John Kerry, a Catholic, was running for the presidency. His critics often referred to him as being "pro-abortion." I repeatedly stated at the time there is a distinct difference between pro-abortion and pro-choice. (Kerry was pro-choice, as am I.) I don't personally know anyone who can properly be referred to as pro-abortion. The whole matter is rather about allowing a woman to have a choice, and I am 100% for that.

I don't know where the Supreme Court is headed next. Clarence Thomas suggested the court could tackle such issues as contraception and same-sex marriage. Hopefully, the justices will leave these matters alone. Enough damage was done last Friday, which now permits individual states to administer draconian laws that in some cases won't even allow abortions in cases of rape or incest.
In the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church, I can most likely be labeled a sinner, because I am pro-choice, I support the use of birth control, and I was ordained a married priest in 2006 by a married archbishop. In addition, amongst the more than 100 marriages for which I was the officiant, there were a few same-sex couples.
I continue to hope our country becomes more inclusive, and this includes religious institutions. Sadly, the U.S. is currently being looked upon as a divided nation. As Abraham Lincoln correctly stated, "a house divided cannot stand."

No comments: