Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Remembering Ted Kennedy



Dear Blog Visitors:

Like many throughout the world, I am mourning the death of Senator Edward Kennedy, who will always be remembered as the ultimate champion of human rights.

While many have labeled Ted Kennedy as an ultra-liberal, we must never forget that he was often successful in his attempts to reach across the aisle, and it was not uncommon for him to compromise with legislators who possessed a more conservative mindset.

In Ted Kennedy's honor, it would be the ultimate tribute if conservatives and liberals in the Senate could reach a compromise on a health care bill. If successful, I would certainly hope the proposed legislation would be called the 'Kennedy Health Plan.'

I have a very special personal memory of Ted Kennedy I would like to share with you. In brief, I was heavily involved in a research project in 1985, which was part of a worldwide effort to determine once and for all if notorious Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele was still alive. My research involved collaboration with the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the Justice Department. At the end of my research, I issued a rather extensive report of my findings. I was very honored and humbled that Senator Ted Kennedy read my report in full, as did Congressman Jack Kemp and a few other members of Congress.

I want to share the following letter with you. It was written by Ted Kennedy in response to my report. (If you click on the letter, you will be able to view a larger image.)



My deepest sympathies go out to members of the Kennedy family today. I like to think that Ted is now part of the heavenly senate, continuing to work toward the rights of all.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: