Sunday, September 20, 2009

Recognizing the Sisters of Mercy & St. Joseph



Dear Blog Visitors:

I want to take this opportunity to congratulate the City of Rochester on the occasion of its 175th anniversary. In conjunction with this celebration, in the video that follows, I not only mention this milestone for Rochester, but I also highlight the fact that part of the city's legacy is the long history of service from both the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of St. Joseph.

Both local orders of sisters, and indeed all orders throughout the world, are experiencing a shortage of vocations, much in the same way the priesthood is in the midst of a shortage. In the video, I mention the fact that I was reminded of the dwindling numbers in the Sisters of St. Joseph when I officiated at a baptism in Nazareth College's chapel. This chapel used to be the spiritual home for the Sisters of St. Joseph. (The sisters have since moved to a smaller location near the Nazareth campus.)

In any event, I want to wish the City of Rochester well on its 175th anniversary, and I want to thank the good Sisters of Mercy and St. Joseph for being an important part of this history.

Here is the video (in high definition):

No comments: