Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Remembering Erich Kunzel



Dear Blog Visitors:

I was saddened to learn that Erich Kunzel died yesterday. He was the director of the Cincinnati Pops, and I had the privilege of singing under his direction twice when he was the director of the Rochester Pops.

In addition to his extremely fine musicianship, Maestro Kunzel was known for his sense of humor. While concert rehearsals can often be tense experiences, Kunzel created an atmosphere of fun, and yet he was still able to achieve the respect of musicians who worked with him.

Prior to pursuing a theological path, music consumed much of my life. I am extremely grateful to have met such musical masters as Erich Kunzel. Another master I was privileged to meet was Leopold Stokowski, who told me if I wanted to be a symphony orchestra conductor, I needed to be equally proficient with the piano. I could never master the piano, although I had moderate success with the conducting baton.

If there is such a thing as a heavenly pops orchestra, I can picture Erich Kunzel at the helm, alongside Arthur Fiedler.

My sympathies go out to Erich Kunzel's family and friends. He will be greatly missed. At least his music will live on via the more than 120 albums he recorded.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: