Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Yom Kippur Greeting





Dear Blog Visitors:

I want to take this opportunity to wish my Jewish friends and relatives a very blessed Yom Kippur.

I continue to be grateful that I grew up in a wonderful religious environment, with Catholics on my mother's side of the family and Judaism on my father's side. One of my fondest memories is celebrating Yom Kippur, a day that is set aside each year for fasting, prayer and forgiveness.

Something I continue to find very special about Yom Kippur is the relationship that is defined between God and human beings. An image often depicted is that of God keeping track of our deeds, both good and bad, on a slate. By celebrating Yom Kippur in its fullest sense, there is an opportunity to erase bad deeds from God's slate. This involves a process of apologizing to those we have wronged the prior year. Synagogue prayer on Yom Kippur also is inclusive of multiple prayers for forgiveness.

I included two photos above that were taken of me in the holy city of Jerusalem a few years ago. You will recognize the backdrop of one photo as the Western Wall. The other was taken as I lead a group in prayer along the Stations of the Cross.

My prayer is that Yom Kippur continues to bring healing and fulfillment to all who celebrate this special day.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: