Wednesday, September 07, 2011

343 Flags for 343 Fallen Firefighters





Dear Blog Visitors:

I got up extra early today, in the hopes of spending some quiet time at Ontario Beach Park in Rochester, New York. What I didn't expect was having the entire park to myself, which is exactly what happened.

I have found that although the experience of being close to God can indeed occur in the midst of a faith community, I often find my prayer life is enhanced when I am alone in a nature setting. While I may pray with a community to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I don't think this morning's experience can be replicated, in terms of feeling the presence of God in a quiet place.

The primary purpose of my going to Ontario Beach Park this morning was to see the displayed 343 flags, in honor of the 343 firefighters who perished in the twin towers ten years ago. It was a very powerful experience for me to be alone amongst the flags and the surrounding water of Lake Ontario and a dramatic gray sky.

I have posted a few photos from this morning's spiritual experience.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: