My World of Religion, Politics, Entertainment and Social Issues

If you are visiting my blog, expecting to see 'Toward a Progressive Catholic Church,' I have changed my title to reflect my wide assortment of interests. Having retired from my secular job, I hope to devote the rest of my life to my hobbies, ministries and perhaps a part-time job that makes good use of my communications skills. This blog will be designed to address my multi-faceted interests.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, New York, United States

I have an M.A. in Theology and an M.Div (Master of Divinity) from St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry. I am currently a media consultant and promoter of classical music. I am also certified as an officiant by the Federation of Christian Ministries for baptisms, weddings and funerals and minister independently of the Rochester Diocese. My life has encompassed many interesting paths: broadcasting, free-lance writing, video-production, music, ministry and a secular job in government. In addition to this blog, I have a YouTube site at www.youtube.com/priestray and I have a Facebook page.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

343 Flags for 343 Fallen Firefighters





Dear Blog Visitors:

I got up extra early today, in the hopes of spending some quiet time at Ontario Beach Park in Rochester, New York. What I didn't expect was having the entire park to myself, which is exactly what happened.

I have found that although the experience of being close to God can indeed occur in the midst of a faith community, I often find my prayer life is enhanced when I am alone in a nature setting. While I may pray with a community to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I don't think this morning's experience can be replicated, in terms of feeling the presence of God in a quiet place.

The primary purpose of my going to Ontario Beach Park this morning was to see the displayed 343 flags, in honor of the 343 firefighters who perished in the twin towers ten years ago. It was a very powerful experience for me to be alone amongst the flags and the surrounding water of Lake Ontario and a dramatic gray sky.

I have posted a few photos from this morning's spiritual experience.

Peace to all,
Ray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home