Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Commemorating the 10th Anniversary of 9/11




Dear Blog Visitors:

Like many persons around the world, I will be engaged in much reflection on September 11, ten years following events we will never forget.

At a theological level, I continue to believe that God chose to create us with free will. This free will comes with a price; we can choose good or evil during the course of our daily lives.

A few individuals made an evil choice on September 11, 2001 - a decision that left death and destruction in its path. However, despite the huge loss of life, I like to feel that forces of good ultimately triumphed. Losses would have been far greater, had it not been for the courageous first-responders who risked their own lives so that others might live.

As I thought back to images that remain fresh in my mind, I tried to recreate my activities of September 11 & 12, 2001 via three photos. Like many around the world, I was glued to my TV set during the first anxious moments of 9/11,as depicted in photo #1. In the second photo, I recall watching the late Peter Jennings, as he related the facts as they became available. (Mr. Jennings was later praised by many for maintaining a sense of calm, as details of unfolding events remained uncertain.) In the third photo, I am reading the local headlines of September 12, 2001, trying to piece together any new information that was available.

I am hoping that the Democratic and Republican parties will put politics on hold during the commemoration of 9/11. This solemn day should instead be a day of reflection and prayer. Although friction and divisions continue to dot the landscapes of our world, I will nevertheless continue to pray for the day when all human beings learn how to live in harmony.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: