Friday, January 20, 2012

Reminiscing About Eastman Kodak





Dear Blog Visitors:

Yesterday was sad for anyone tied in any way, past or present, to Eastman Kodak. Although not unexpected, the shock factor was still felt around the world when Kodak announced it had filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy papers.

For my family, Eastman Kodak played a very large role. My late paternal grandfather, Henry Grosswirth, settled in Rochester after arriving in America from Hungary. He then spent most of his working life at Kodak. My late father, Sidney Grosswirth, spent 35 years of his working life at Kodak. I had a summer job there during my college years, whereby my father had hoped I would continue in the family tradition by finding a career at Kodak. However, my life ambitions took me in other directions.

It is difficult to say at this point whether or not reorganization of Kodak, as part of the Chapter 11 arrangement, will be successful. I am hoping for a positive outcome, whether it be via the sale of multiple patents, or a primary focus on Kodak's motion picture business, which is still integral to he lives of Hollywood filmmakers.

I have posted four related photos above. The first photo is of George Eastman's house, which continues to operate as an international museum of photography. The second photo is yours truly with a vintage 1934 Kodak camera tested by my grandfather in its pre-patent stage. The third photo is my father's Kodak baseball team from the 1950s (my father is holding the plaque). The fourth photo is my baseball team from 1964. I am pictured in the first row, second from the left. (Sons and daughters of Kodak workers were invited to participate in baseball and bowling teams, via its KPAA (Kodak Park Athletic Association).

I share the sadness of many over what is occuring with Eastman Kodak. However, my hope is that the company will find ways to survive.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: