Monday, August 29, 2011

Returning to My Musical Roots




Dear Blog Visitors:

I find that I am truly enjoying my retirement. In addition to perhaps starting a small faith community, and continuing my ministry as an officiant at weddings, I am looking at ways I can make the most of the musical skills I once had.

Many of my high school classmates assumed I would have ended up in the musical profession. In addition, friends who recall I won a competition for young conductors many years ago, culminating in my guest-conducting the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, similarly assumed I was on my way to either a conducting podium or playing trumpet in an orchestra.

After two years at the Eastman School of Music as an undergraduate student (1967-1969), I put any musical career ambitions behind me. I found it was a very competitive field, which brought me to the realization that there were many musicians in the world far better than myself. So, I ventured into other career areas instead.

Now that I am retired, I have been looking at ways to tap into my life-long passion and love for classical music. So, for the past few years, Brenda and I have been season subscribers to the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. I consider them to be one of the best orchestras in the world, so hearing them play at concerts is exhilirating beyond description.

Whenever I take my trumpet out of the closet, I am brought to the realization that I can no longer play concertos or hit very high notes as in the past. However, I can still play good enough to stay active musically, perhaps by joining a community orchestra. Concerning the piano, I have lost most of the dexterity I had as a younger person. However, I am considering one of the many 'self-taught' courses available that will provide me with at least minimal keyboard abilities.

In the photos above, I have provided three images that capture some of my present pursuits (learning to play the piano again, practicing the trumpet, and practicing conducting). In the trumpet photo, I am highlighting the ability to play duets, whereby I record one part and then play a second part with the playback. In the third photo, I guess you can say I am attempting to 'conduct' myself properly.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: