Thanking and Remembering Vietnam Veterans




Dear Blog Visitors:

I am continuing to enjoy my retirement from many years of work at Rochester's City Hall. Between my hobbies, wedding ministry and daily walks and runs with an Alaskan Husky, I have not been bored.

I have been taking a lot of photos in retirement and posting many of them on my Facebook page. When I search for local locations to snap some images, I am often drawn to areas with a special spiritual connection. One such place is Rochester's Vietnam Memorial.

During my last trip to Washington, D.C., I spent some time at the National Vietnam Memorial. I did the same at Rochester's memorial yesterday. I highly recommend a visit by both Rochesterians and visitors to the city. A lot of work, compassion and reverence were devoted by those responsible for the memorial.

The Vietnam War was a divisive period in our country. Some supported the war, some protested against it, and others were neutral. Although I was granted an exemption from the war while in college for undergraduate study, I went for a physical at the local recruiting office following my studies. I was not admitted to the military, due to a variety of allergies that would have caused me problems in a jungle environment such as Vietnam. While I had mixed feelings about this particular war, I did not engage in any protests. So, I guess you can say I was one of those who held a neutral position. Nevertheless, I supported our troups.

As I visited the Rochester Vietnam Memorial yesterday, I recalled the faces of persons I knew who fought in the war. Most came back, and sadly, a few did not.

I took a few photos yesterday, and am sharing three of them as part of this blog post.

Peace to all,
Ray

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering David Fetler

The Day The Earth Stood Still: Relevant for Our Times

Remembering Bessie (Betty) Fleetwood