As I continue to advance in my senior years, I find I often reflect on my formative years and realize that I wish I had thanked a multitude of people who were important parts of my life. Most of these people have died, but whenever an opportunity presents itself, I like to reach back and extend gratitude to persons who helped to steer me on a proper path when I was headed in a wrong direction. Such an opportunity presented itself yesterday. My seventh grade teacher (1961 & 1962) at Rochester's #8 School, Bessie Fleetwood (nicknamed Betty), died in 2017 at age 95. I was able to reach out to her surviving family members yesterday and expressed how Mrs. Fleetwood was instrumental in helping me to become a better focused person. She was admittedly strict, but looking back, I must say that her discipline was well placed. Betty Fleetwood (maiden name Plummer) had a very distinguished life. She served with distinction in World War II, and then went on to earn her college and gr...
Comments