Saturday, June 19, 2021

What I Would Do If I Could Travel Back In Time

I have always been intrigued with the idea of time-travel, which Albert Einstein thought was possible. If I could travel back fifty-four years, I would hit a restart button and correct mistakes I made in my late teens and twenties. Here are the changes I would make if it were possible:

If I could return to the fall of 1967, I would work harder on my studies at the Eastman School of Music. My ambition was to become a symphony orchestra conductor. However, I made the mistake of hanging out at bars designed for college crowds when I should have been practicing my instruments. As I look back, I remain appreciative that two of my professors at Eastman saw my conducting potential, namely Milford Fargo and Donald Hunsberger. (Dr. Hunsberger enrolled me in a graduate conducting course, even though I was an undergraduate.) So, my advice to my younger self would be, "stay out of bars and study hard, or your musical career will vanish."
As I moved onto my twenties, minus a musical career, I wasn't sure where I would venture next. I started exploring alternative paths, but was thwarted by an ill-fated relationship when I was 28. This particular person was convinced I would never amount to anything, and demeaned me at every opportunity. So, if I could travel back, I would avoid that relationship and the pitfalls the eventual breakup caused.
Fortunately, I was able to eventually enjoy success in such areas as broadcasting, banking, government, and ministry, as well as receiving a B.A. in Humanities and two graduate degrees in theology and ministry. My musical ambitions never came to fruition. However, having served on performing arts boards, and having been board president for the Rochester Chamber Orchestra, I at least returned to music at the administrative end.
The lesson I can pass on from all of this, now that I am in my seventies, is to follow your passions minus distractions whenever possible. It is also advisable to have a Plan B, in case Plan A doesn't work out. By the way, I am still intrigued with time travel. It would be an interesting ride.

No comments: