Saturday, December 12, 2009

Researching My Ancestry




Dear Blog Visitors:

I have been taking a break from the busyness of the holiday season to return to one of my passions - namely, researching my family ancestry.

If you have never taken the challenge of searching records that pertain to your family history, it is an enterprise I highly recommend, because I find it helps to give your life purpose/meaning.

Before beginning my ancestry quest several years ago, all I had was some very basic information. This led me on my quest. Researching my father's side of the family was especially challenging, because it required my looking for long-lost Hungarian data. Researching my mother's side of the family was a little easier, especially with the help of the Dodge Family Association, which has done some remarkable work, such as tracing the origins of Dodge settlers in America and beyond.

I thought you might like to see a couple old photos I discovered recently. The first one is of my maternal great-great-grandmother, Maria J. (Lightfoot) Dodge, who was married to my great-great-grandfather, Frank M. Dodge, who served with distinction as part of Company A of the 8th New York Regiment of the United States Cavalry. The second photo presents my maternal great-grandparents, Charles L. Dodge (1872-1936) and Louise Amelia(Johnson) Dodge (died in 1932).

My thanks to my ancestors for helping to give my life some purpose.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: