Saturday, December 05, 2009

My First Visit with Santa


Dear Blog Visitors:

I normally try to stay focused on the religious aspects of the holiday season, such as reflecting on the weekly and weekend readings of Advent and Christmas. However, it is especially nostalgic for me this year, as I reflect back on the many holiday celebrations that took place amongst my religiously diverse family.

As a child, I felt privileged to celebrate Hanukkah with my father's side of the family and Christmas with my mother's side. (My father was Jewish and my mother was Roman Catholic.) With the recent death of my father, and the fact that both of my siblings live in other states, I am left to my family holiday memories this year, although my wife and I will celebrate the holidays together, in addition to our gathering with friends on Christmas Day.

As I reflect back on my Christmas celebrations as a child, I have very fond memories of my maternal grandparents, Franklin and Dorothy (Burke) Dodge. My very first visit with Santa was on the same day my grandparents purchased a new coat and hat for me. It was in December of 1953, when I was four-years-old. In the above picture, I am featured with my new hat and coat, and in the presence of Santa in the old Sibleys Department Store in downtown Rochester, New York.

My very best to all of you this holiday season.

No comments: