Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions for 2010



Dear Blog Visitors:

Whenever we focus on a new calendar year, we tend to think about the theme of endings and beginnings. For example, we remember those who died in 2009 and we move ahead in the hope that 2010 will somehow be a better year.

In Christianity, we think of life and death in a variety of ways. For example, we celebrate the miracle of birth, which is further enhanced via baptism, as depicted in the photo above (a baby I recently baptized). When Jesus instructed his disciples to baptize in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, it served as a reminder for future generations that He died for our sins, and through our baptisms, we have the enhanced opportunity to live good lives in the service of others.

As sad as death is to those who experience the loss of a loved one, there is also comfort when one thinks of the departed as entering into a new phase of eternal life. So, as we remember those who were close to us in their earthly lives, they remain with us via both our memories and in the promise that we will be reunited with them in God’s eternal home.

Whenever we enter a new year, it is very common to make resolutions. I have made five resolutions that I would like to share with you:

1.) I resolve to respect persons of all faith persuasions, understanding that the mystery of God resides in all of creation.

2.)I will continue to avail myself to persons who seek me for baptisms, weddings and funerals, recognizing that these persons simply wish to have God present for their celebrations, minus what they perceive to be institutional trappings.

3.)I will avoid those who try to entice me into theological arguments in cyberspace.

4.)I will continue to work behind the scenes for an opportunity for conservative and liberal Catholics to gather in an atmosphere of mutual respect, whereby diversity would be celebrated, as opposed to being attacked.

5.)I will continue to be open to the will of the Holy Spirit, understanding that God has a purpose for all of us.

I was rather amused when I stumbled across a web posting yesterday. The anonymous poster suggested that 2010 offers an opportunity for Catholics to celebrate my leaving the church, and further stated that Roman Catholicism is better off without me. I make no judgments about the anonymous poster, just as I hope he or she comes to realize that I continue to strive toward being a better person by leaving myself open to whatever God desires of me. (In reality, I have not officially left the Catholic Church; I am simply ministering independently of the institution, leaving myself open to God’s will and being open to what all houses of worship offer in the way of spirit-filled hope.)

My very best to all of you during 2010.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: