Saturday, August 27, 2011

Staying in Rochester




Dear Blog Visitors:

With summer drawing to an end in Rochester, I find I am going through my annual ritual of contemplating life elsewhere, especially since winter weather and I don't get along very well.

After several days of reflection, I decided to take a local journey with my camera, snapping photos as a means of reminding myself of why I have lived in Rochester my entire life. I then made a list of what I would miss if I were to move to escape Rochester's cold winters.

If I were to move, I would certainly miss the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, the many walking trails I am used to, Wegmans stores, the George Eastman House, the wonderful interfaith dialogue, the many universities in our area, excellent medical facilities, etc. I would also miss my neighbor's dog, who is my daily companion on walks, and I would miss the many friends I have made after a lifetime in Rochester. In consideration of all this, I have decided that Rochester will remain my home, at least for the time being.

I guess the lesson to be learned from all this is when the grass seems greener on the other side, it is important to take a careful look at what you have before making a move. This is not to say that I will never move to a warmer climate. However, Rochester is looking pretty good right now.

Peace to all,
Ray

No comments: